Selling a house is all about staging. A majority of home sellers don’t understand that by organizing their house before sale, they can give it a new look that buyers would love. What you need to understand is that the real estate agent is not a magician who would instantly sell your home on your demanded price. Just because you have given your agent the job of selling your house does not mean that it will go in top dollar in a couple of days. A realtor’s job is much more than that. A successful sale ensures a happy customer, who will keep returning to them whenever they want to sell their house.
The first step to sell your house is to hire a real estate agent. The next step is to make sure that the house is ready for the sale. Following is a checklist of things that all real estate agents advise their clients to cross off, so that a sale goes smoothly:
Sellers’ List of Things to Do
The sellers’ list of things to do must be divided into 8 areas inside and outside the house. This will help them deal with problems in each area one at a time. This will not only save time, but will give them a new perspective of their house and they will be able to tell the real estate agent which parts of the house should be highlighted.
Clean, Repair or Replace
- Light bulbs
- Interior and exterior paint
- Doors and knobs
- Heater/AC vents
- Light switch covers
- Ceiling fans
These are just the small things and must always be cleaned and repaired. Replace only if absolutely necessary, especially in the case of heater and AC vents, baseboards and ceiling fans.
Remove all personal knick knacks and keep the following stuff only:
- A small set of sofa
- Throws and pillows on the sofa to soften the look
- Coffee table
- Dining table with just the centerpiece and 4 chairs
- No decorations on the wall or in the hallway
Kitchen is the trickiest ye the most important place to handle. Often home owners believe that by completely remodeling their kitchen, the price of the house will significantly increase. The truth is – it takes longer for the real estate agent to sell the house because depending on the area and the neighborhood, the value of the house might not be that high. Here’s how to give the kitchen a new look:
- Remove all items from the countertops.
- Clean built in stoves.
- Clean tile grouts with bleach.
- Repair broken Formica countertops.
- Store all cleaning items in the closet.
- Polish the sink.
- Remove any pet water and food dishes.
The bedroom has only one rule – do not keep anything personal. The things that should be in the bedroom are:
- Two side tables
- Wall mirror
Make sure that the laundry area is completely empty. This is one place that people like to measure and see if they can do all the washing easily.
- To make the room look spacious, install new and brighter bulbs.
An organized bathroom goes a long way in changing the decision of the buyer. Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean the tiles and tub with bleach.
- Keep new towels in a basket.
- Place a new shampoo bottle and soap near the sink.
- Remove all medicines from cabinet above the sink.
Exterior and Yard
- Re-paint if the old paint is chipped in places.
- Give the lawn a trim.
- Arrange outdoor furniture.
- Sweep the porch and walkway.
- Remove wood and rock piles from the front of the house.
- Install a fence if you don’t have one.
- Repaint the door.
- Keep it completely empty.
By paying attention to these core areas, you will make the real estate agent’s job easy in finding you your desired deal. As far as the negotiations go, this is where the real estate agent will highlight the plus points of the house that will definitely raise the sale price.